Australia Summernats death: Queensland man cleared of charges relating to death of Luke Newsome

06:06  16 april  2018
06:06  16 april  2018 Source:   ABC News

Charges laid after Canberra crane death

  Charges laid after Canberra crane death Charges, including manslaughter, have been laid following the death of a Sydney man on a Canberra construction site in August 2016.Criminal charges have been laid nearly two years after the death of a worker on a Canberra construction site.

A 33-year-old man has been charged with the death of a patron at Summernats earlier this year. The charge relates to an incident at the annual car festival in January, where Luke Newsome , 30, from Emerald in Queensland was killed after falling from the tray of a ute.

A 33-year-old man has been charged with the death of a patron at Summernats earlier this year. The charge relates to an incident at the annual car festival in January, where Luke Newsome , 30, from Emerald in Queensland was killed after falling from the tray of a ute.

Mr Newsome died in hospital after falling off the accused's truck at Summernats.© Provided by ABC News Mr Newsome died in hospital after falling off the accused's truck at Summernats. Bundaberg man Alister Spong hugged his wife in a long embrace after a jury cleared him over the death of his friend at Canberra's Summernats Car festival last year.

Mr Spong, 33, was charged with culpable driving causing death in the ACT Supreme Court.

His friend Luke Newsome was travelling on the back of a 1942 utility truck with several others when he fell off, suffering fatal head injuries.

Mr Newsome died in hospital the next day.

Mr Spong had told the court he was attempting what is known as a "chirpee," or a short wheel spin, while driving in first gear on the cruise track at Summernats.

In singer Prince's death, Minnesota prosecutor decides whether to file charges

  In singer Prince's death, Minnesota prosecutor decides whether to file charges A Minnesota prosecutor will on Thursday announce whether anyone will be criminally charged in the death of pop star Prince, who died two years ago from an opioid overdose, authorities said. Carver County Attorney Mark Metz will hold a news conference to announce his charging decision following an investigation, the Carver County Attorney's office said in a statement on Wednesday.Prince, 57, was found dead at his Paisley Park complex near Minneapolis on April 21, 2016.

Burning tyres, clouds of smoke and soot-covered revheads: Tragedy mars the start of Summernats Queensland man Luke Newsome died at Canberra Hospital on Friday afternoon Mr Newsome 's death is the first ever reported at the festival, running since 1988 hitting his head on the tray of a ute at high-octane motor show Summernats festival in Canberra.

Family and friends take to social media to pay tribute to Queenslander Luke Newsome who died after falling from the back of a ute at the Summernats car festival.

Instead of spinning, the wheels bit the bitumen and the truck lurched forward, throwing Mr Newsome and another man to the ground.

Mr Spong told the court he was devastated by the death of his friend.

Dead woman to 'give evidence' at own murder trial

  Dead woman to 'give evidence' at own murder trial A judge has ruled that a woman who was doused in petrol and set alight will be heard at her former boyfriend's trial - even though she died last year. A videotaped testimony from Judy Malinowski will be played during her own murder trial in what Franklin County Judge Guy Reece called an unprecedented case.The Ohio judge said officials had not known a case in which a victim would testify at their own murder trial.The woman lived for two years after her horrific ordeal which left her with severe third and fourth degree burns, covering most of her body.

While the event was an overall success, it was marred by the death of 30 year old Luke Newsome . The Queensland man died in Canberra Hospital on Friday, after he fell off the Mark Williams from WA was named the Street Machine Summernats Grand Champion, with the Holden HQ One Tonner.

RELATED STORY: Man dies at Summernats festival. Luke Newsome , 30, from Queensland , suffered fatal injuries when he fell from a car along the cruise route at Exhibition Park on Thursday afternoon.

Prosecutor Margaret Jones told the jury there was no doubt Mr Spong was guilty of culpable driving.

She said there were five people on the back, and he was responsible for their safety.

"There was no warning and he did not look around to see where everyone was," she said.

"It was improper driving that put other people in harm's way and it had tragic consequences.

"It was not an accident. It was intentional and deliberate driving."

But Mr Spong's lawyer Steve Whybrow told the jury it was a momentary lapse.

"This is a man who was not driving like a ratbag," she said.

"He consciously tried to spin the wheels like he'd done many times before.

"It was not a risk from his perspective."

The jury retired on Friday and resumed this morning.

But after only fifteen minutes a verdict was reached.

Mr Spong walked free, after the jury also found him not guilty of an alternative charge of negligent driving causing death, even though he admitted to the charge.

Hodge AFL criticism 'predictable': Lions .
Brisbane coach Chris Fagan has dismissed criticism of Luke Hodge as 'predictable' ahead of the Lions' AFL clash with Gold Coast.The knives came out for the 33-year-old Hodge after Brisbane's woeful last-round 93-point loss to Richmond, with some calling on the 309-game defender to consider retirement.

Source: http://au.pressfrom.com/news/australia/-60874-summernats-death-queensland-man-cleared-of-charges-relating-to-death-of-luke-newsome/

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
This is interesting!